Noel and I haven’t had a fish dish in a long time, so I thought that it was time I made one. There was Tuna in the cupboards but no Sweet Potatoes, which is what I usually use. I didn’t feel like going all the way to the shops for one ingredient, so I decided to use what we had and tried Butternut instead. Honestly, I didn’t know how this was going to end because I haven’t heard about any recipes with Tuna and Butternut before. I said a quick Hail Mary and hoped for the best.
Yummy…is all I can say. These were delicious. The Butternut added a subtle sweetness to the Tuna and they complimented each other so nicely. Noel even said to me that it must be added to the weekly meal plan! I also got to use the Wolfieskop Extra Virgin Olive Oil I won at the Gratitude Run 🙂
As always, I only use ingredients that are healthy and nutritious, so that I can help my body build up my immunity.
Here’s all the good stuff you need to know about this dish:
Tuna – is jam packed with nutrients. It is a high-quality protein and is high in minerals such as selenium, magnesium and potassium as well as omega-3 essential fatty acids. Tuna is great for cardiovascular health, good eye health and promotes detoxification, just to name a few of its health benefits.
Butternut – this vibrant vegetable is packed with Vitamin A, Potassium and Fibre. It leaves you feeling fuller for longer and decreases the risk of obesity, diabetes and heart disease.
Asparagus – is loaded with Vitamins A, C, E, K and Chromium as well as being an excellent source of Fibre. Asparagus is packed with anti-oxidants and may even help slow down the aging process!
What you need:
- ½ Medium Onion
- 2 x Cans of Tuna
- ½ Medium Butternut
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup of Flour (I used Coconut Flour, but you can also use some Polenta)
- Salt and Pepper
- Garlic and Herb Spice
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Juice
- Asparagus tops – enough for your family’s needs.
What to do:
- Dice the Onion and place in a large mixing bowl
- Skin the Butternut and microwave for about 6 minutes until the Butternut is soft enough to be mashed
- Place Tuna in the mixing bowl with the Onion and add Salt, Pepper, Lemon Juice and Garlic and Herb spice
- Once Butternut is ready, put it in the mixing bowel with the Tuna
- With a fork, mash the Butternut so that is nicely spread and mixed well with the other ingredients
- Add the egg
- Depending on how moist your mixture is, add some flour – enough just until you can make palm size patties without the mixture sticking to your hands
- Once you have your patties, dust lightly with some flour
- Place on a baking tray lined with some Olive Oil
- Bake for 20 minutes at 190 degree Celsius – turning once until both sides are golden brown
- Steam Asparagus in the microwave or the stove until slightly soft but still crunchy. Once done, drizzle lightly with Olive Oil.
Serve warm with a chilled glass of your favourite White Wine 🙂 .
I got six medium palm size patties out of these ingredients, so a family of 2 adults and 2 small kids can easily enjoy this meal. It can also be paired with a lovely green salad, lemon and herb Sweet Potato wedges or Roasted Vegetables.
I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Let me know if you do, I’d love to hear.
“There is no love sincerer, than the Love of Food.”- Author Unknown