It’s no surprise that I absolutely love food. And with the busy lifestyle Noel and I have, it’s a little difficult to always eat a healthy, nutritious meal. But after falling ill several times this year, I had to take a long and hard look at what I was putting into my body. I enjoy being out and about and most times this means eating restaurant meals which are not always the healthiest.
So, I decided that when we are at home, my meals would be packed with the nutrients my body was obviously lacking. Don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy my caramel cheese cake and a cappuccino every now and then, but I try and keep these cheat meals for the weekends.
I made a delicious Zucchini Noodle and Chicken dish last night.
It was quick and easy and I didn’t even follow a recipe! And the best part, your body will love you for trying it because:
Zucchinis – also known as baby marrows are extremely healthy vegetables. They are well known to reduce weight loss because, they are low in calories and help you to feel fuller for long, thus keeping you from snacking or over eating. They also promote good eye health and prevents diseases caused by Vitamin C deficiencies like scurvy, sclerosis and easy bruising.
Chicken – is a lean low fat protein. This means that it helps you feel fuller for longer.
Chillies – are packed with antioxidants including Vitamin C and carotenoids which destroy free radicals in the body. They also help detoxify the body by removing waste, acts as a natural antibiotic by helping to bring blood to the site of the infection and stimulates the release of endorphins, which are the body’s natural painkillers.
Spinach – One cup of spinach has nearly 20% of the RDA of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating. They are also packed with antioxidants which helps with overall immunity and wellbeing.
What you will need:
- 1 x 5oog Zucchini Noodles
- 3 x Medium Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Margarine
- ½ Cup of Plain Flour or 4 Tablespoons Polenta
- 1 Cup of Spinach
- Braai spice for seasoning
- 1 Teaspoon Chili Flakes
- ¼ cup of Cheese (optional)
What to do:
- Boil water, enough to cover the Zucchini Noodles and cook with some salt for about 2 minutes.
- Cut the Chicken Breasts into strips. Season with Braai spice and cook until brown in a saucepan with 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil or Cooking oil.
- In a pot, bring the Milk and Butter to a boil.
- Add the Flour to the Milk stirring all the time until the mixture becomes slightly thicker but not a paste. Add Chili Flakes and some salt and pepper to taste
- Add the cooked Zucchini Noodles and the Chicken to the Milk and Flour mixture stirring occasionally.
- Add Spinach and Cheese and let this all cook together for about 5 minutes and there you go!
Quick, easy, and so yummy. And oh yes, so healthy 🙂 .
We still had left overs, so my guess is that this could easily feed a family of 3. Add more to each ingredient to accommodate the size of your family.
I hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you tried it and what you think.
“Health requires Healthy Food.”- Roger Williams